Do you dare to grow your own vegetables at home? The horticulture It is fun, also relaxes and promotes concentration. It's about creating a small green corner In the middle of both asphalt and enjoy organic and healthy products. Let's see the basics to get started in urban mini gardens. From here and with a little practice, everything will be "sowing" and singing.
Photo by Ikea
1. Why seeds should I start?
Choose the varieties according to the time of sowing and harvesting, the amount of hours of sunshine your home receives and the space you have to devote to your mini urban garden.
Plant species, herbs, vegetables and vegetables. For example: parsley, chives, basil, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers or eggplants. Other vegetables to grow: onions and zucchini.
Keep in mind the association of crops when planting your seeds. There are varieties that if plants together help in development and protect against pests. For example: tomatoes get along with lettuce, celery or parsley.
Identify your plants with signs where you indicate the name, you can put the date of planting, even some notation about the care you need until you become familiar with them.Photo: identification signs stuck in colored plastic forks. From Ikea
2. You will need to flower pots or planters, watering can, water sprayer and some basic tools like rake, shovel, gloves and scissors.Photo by Akí
3. Find out about irrigation conditions. When you are at home, you will not lack water, but keep in mind the frequency of irrigation, water temperature and quality. It is highly recommended to collect rainwater.
4. Place your mini urban garden in a cool place where you receive natural light. On a balcony, in the windows, in the kitchen, a corner of the terrace ... Depending on the space, it incorporates a mini fruit tree. There are varieties that need direct sun and others, such as lettuce, semi-shade.
5. The land quality It is important and the type of substrate has to be chosen depending on the plant. In the garden centers you will find kits to make your own composting at home. Did you know that coffee grounds are a fertilizer that provides nutrients? You just have to add them to the earth.
6. When you plant the seeds ... keep in mind that the aerial part of the plant (the one that remains on the ground) is a reflection of the underground part. Think about the dimensions of the plants when they grow and leave the necessary space when planting them for development.